Monday, December 5, 2011

Roma Cafe, 3401 Riopelle, Detroit

Roma Cafe bills itself as "Detroit's oldest Italian restaurant."  Opened in 1890 and located in the Eastern Market, it is third-generation family-owned and as far from an Olive Garden as you can get.  It was also my nephew's choice for his college graduation party, but his mother had to veto the idea in consideration of my difficulty with the place.  For one thing, there is a good 3-5 inch step-up at the entrance, probably from the settling that has occurred since the building was constructed 100 years prior to the Americans with Disabilities Act.  Also, the Ladies' Room is located on the second floor, up a stairway.  The last time I was there, the host offered to clear out the Men's Room, which is on the first floor, and stand guard so I could use it if necessary, so I guess technically they are providing a handicapped-accessible bathroom for everyone, but the "Jerry's Kids" quotient (degree to which the handicapped person is put on display and general bfd-level of the accommodation) is high enough to put it on my list of restaurants to avoid.

No comments:

Post a Comment