Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Princess Cruises, Crown Princess

Okay, this was only my second cruise, but the accessibility level was just about equal to my previous trip on the Norwegian Jewel, so I'm starting to suspect that they're all pretty similar.  Again, the stateroom was so small that I was able to walk around without a walker by grabbing onto furniture, which gave me a little "intimations of normality" thrill.  We did not ask for a handicapped accessible room, but I understand that they are bigger, which, ironically, would have made things more difficult for me.  All showers have grab bars, and so do the public restrooms, handicapped and non-handicapped, which are located all throughout the ship.  As far as disembarkation to ports, which was a problem on my last cruise, I did not even try getting on the tender to their private island, which they said was accessible only for handicapped passengers who could get up out of their wheelchairs; after my frightening experience being borne above the stairway on the Norwegian Jewel.  They assured us that there wouldn't be a problem with accessibility at the ports where the ship could dock, but I don't know, their ramp had a series of speed bumps, I guess to prevent runaway wheelchairs from careering down.  It worked pretty well on the way down, but on the return trip, wouldn't you know it, the cruise employees pretty much had to lift me and my wheelchair to get me up the ramp.  Which was, again, scary and also their grunting was a blow to my ego, but it's their own fault for feeding me so much delicious food and then trying to hoist me up.

No comments:

Post a Comment